The Dangers of Varicose Vein Makeup: What You Should Know
If you suffer from varicose veins, you’ve probably seen commercials for varicose vein makeup that can be used to help hide ugly veins so your legs look more presentable. But before you plunk down your hard-earned money, there’s something you should know: Not only is this thick, sticky makeup a hassle to apply, but using it could be bad for your health.
Varicose veins form when tiny valves inside the blood vessels stop working properly. Normally, these little valves open and close in rapid succession, keeping blood flowing in one direction. But sometimes, the valves can become weak or damaged, allowing blood to flow backward and even “pool up,” creating ugly, purplish bulges just beneath the skin. Varicose veins can be caused by different factors, and they’re much more common as we get older or when we gain weight. But no matter what causes them, varicose veins are always a sign of a circulatory problem, and sometimes, that problem can be serious.
Better Than Makeup: See a Varicose Vein Treatment Specialist
When you cover up ugly varicose veins or spider veins with makeup, you could be covering up a serious circulatory issue. And you’re certainly delaying treatment for an underlying issue that could become more serious in the future. Seeing a vein treatment specialist ensures your veins are properly evaluated for any underlying medical problems that could cause serious complications. That’s a pretty important reason not to use vein makeup – but there are other reasons why vein treatment is a better option:
- Wearing vein makeup doesn’t do anything for the other symptoms that can be caused by varicose veins, including deep aching, feelings of heaviness, or burning, stinging or itching.
- Vein makeup isn’t covered by insurance, but most medical insurance plans do provide coverage for vein treatments.
- Over time, you’ll go through a lot of makeup and your costs can mount pretty quickly.
- Makeup application isn’t as simple as it seems, especially considering you want your results to look natural. Proper application takes a lot of time and a lot of practice, and even then, you can be left with uneven streaks that become especially prominent under bright lights or in the sun.
- And finally, varicose vein makeup can easily rub off on furniture and clothing, leaving stains on fabrics and a splotchy result on your legs.
Don’t Hide Your Veins: Eliminate Them – and Their Symptoms
Today, there are lots of options for getting rid of damaged varicose veins so you can look your best, feel your best, and improve your circulation and your overall health. Metro Vein Centers is a leading provider of varicose vein and spider vein treatment for patients throughout the Houston metro region, offering state-of-the-art technology for the best results in every patient. To learn more about varicose vein treatment options and which treatment is the best option for your needs, call Metro Vein Centers at 888-424-3882 and schedule an appointment at our Houston area clinic today. Or, you can use our online contact form and we’ll get in touch right away!